5-2-1-0 is the combination to unlock healthy eating and physical activity for families in the Monadnock Region. Follow these simple guidelines to help establish healthy habits to last a lifetime:
|Eat fruits and vegetables at least 5 times a day. Limit intake of 100% fruit juice. Whole fruits are better!|
|Cut non-educational screen time to 2 hours or less a day. Screen time includes television, computer, and video games.|
|Participate in at least one hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.|
|Restrict soda and sugar-sweetened sports and fruit drinks. Drink water and fat-free/skim or 1% milk instead.|
10 strategies for success… and fun
- Provide kids with healthy choices for snack and celebrations at school
- Pack low-fat milk or water with lunches
- Reward kids with fun activities instead of food, like a play-date or sleepover with a friend, a backyard campout, a special outing, or a family game night.
- Explore local farmers markets as a family
- Limit daily access to screens, including TV, iPads, video games, etc.
- Sign up for fun-walks or fun-runs as a family
- Volunteer at the local park to pick up trash as a family instead of movie time
- Introduce new nutritious foods at the breakfast or dinner table
- Encourage kids to walk or bike to school if possible
- Help kids track their exercise throughout the week
5-2-1-0 is a state-wide campaign supported by the Foundation for Healthy Communities. The program is supported locally in the Monadnock Region through the Advocates for Healthy Youth (AFHY) coalition and is aligned with the Healthy Monadnock initiative.
AFHY is hosting a community event to bring community members together to start acting on change for youth in the Monadnock Region. Teachers, community members, parents, youth organizations, administrators, healthcare professionals, civic group members, etc. are invited. All are welcome!
Registration is free. Please register by Friday, September 14.
To register, email Sara Pelkey at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Complimentary appetizers and refreshments
• Registered attendees are automatically entered to win raffle prizes and gift cards!
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2018
Location: Keene High School-in the Career Center Culinary Restaurant
43 Arch Street
Keene, NH 03431