Brussels sprouts are part of the cruciferous vegetable family, and they pack a powerful punch for your health!
Number of servings: 4
3 cups Brussels sprouts (fresh or frozen halved vertically, about ¾ pound)
4 small red potatoes (cut into chunks)
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
½ cup nonfat ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
¼ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
2 tablespoons nonfat milk
1 pound boneless chicken breasts (4 portions)
1. Heat the oven to 325 F.
2. In a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, toss Brussels sprouts, potatoes, onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, mix cheese with milk.
4. Coat chicken breasts with remaining olive oil.
5. Nest among vegetables in baking dish.
6. Top with cheese mix.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 40–45 minutes or until chicken is done.
Nutritional information per serving: 400 calories; 12 g total fat; 3 g saturated fat; 75 mg cholesterol; 35 g protein; 40 g carbohydrates; 6 g dietary fiber; 6 g total sugars; 370 mg sodium.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, whatscooking.fns.usda.gov.