Here is a beautiful, tasty pink soup to help keep your sweetheart’s heart beating healthily and happily for many years to come.
Beets are deliciously sweet and nutty, packed with vitamins and minerals like manganese and folate, rich in fiber that aids digestion, and antioxidant-abundant. They also have a high concentration of natural nitrates that help lower your blood pressure. However, they sure do make a bright pink mess if you aren’t careful! We suggest you use gloves and a black apron so your hands and clothes don’t end up the same color as this delightful soup.
Prep time 20 minutes | Ready in 1 hour, 30 minutes | Serves 4 | 180 calories per serving
- 1 tbsp virgin olive or heart-healthy oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 1/2 cups diced red cabbage
- 2 cups diced raw beets
- 2 1/ 2 cups marinara sauce (avoid any with added sugar when possible)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Sea salt or Herbamare to taste
- fresh dill for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Add oil into a large pot. Over medium heat, sauté the onion for about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the diced cabbage and beets. Stir again. Continue sautéeing for another few minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce and water to the
pot. Stir to combine. Simmer the soup, covered, over low to medium heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until the beets are fork-tender. This cook time will depend on how small you chopped your beets, so stir and test often.
- Taste and season. Ladle into a bowl and serve with a spoonful or swirl of sour cream and chopped dill if desired.