Easy, versatile and inexpensive comfort food can help you manage a range of needs like time, money, weight or blood sugar. This stew is a great staple for the winter months and can be dressed up in a range of ways to suit your family’s tastes.
Prep Time 5 minutes |Ready in 2 hours |Serves 4 people |250 calories per serving
- 1 1/2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs (skin removed)
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup 1/2 inch cubed potatoes
- black pepper to taste
This simple recipe lends itself to a range of flavor variations. Try: 2 tsp dried dill, or 1 tsp each of dried oregano, basil
- Combine the chicken, celery, onion, and chicken in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from broth, saving the broth. Remove bones, chop chicken, and return it to the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered for about 10-15 minutes.
Recipe thanks to the American Diabetes Association Complete Month of Meals Collection.
Choices/Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 1 Nonstarchy vegetable, 2 Lean protein