As the days and nights get cooler, this easy one-skillet meal is a healthy dinner choice and it stores well for a quick warm-up in the days that follow.
Ready in 30 minutes | Serves 5 people | 269 calories per serving (without toppings)
- 16 oz. package of (94% lean /6% fat) ground turkey
- 5 oz. can of low sodium black beans
- 5 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
- 4 oz. can of mild diced green chilies
- chili seasoning packet of your choosing
Optional Topping Suggestions: avocado slices, tortilla strips, light shredded cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro or sour cream
- Ground Turkey brown ground turkey in a large skillet on high. Do not cover. Gently use a large whisk to break up meat.
- Drain if necessary (if a higher fat content ground turkey is used you will need to drain or pat with a paper towel)
- Decrease heat to medium and add undrained tomatoes, black beans, chilies, and seasoning. Mix evenly and add cover.
- Bring to an even boil, stirring occasionally.
- Decrease heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes with cover still on. If you would like a less “soupy” chili, remove cover and simmer until desired consistency is reached.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve! For lighter fare, use chili to top a salad. No salad dressing required!