This sweet, nutty, citrusy slaw is full of flavor, micronutrients, fiber, a bit of heart-healthy fat, and general fall goodness. It involves a lot of grating, so dig out your food processor or have an eager helper on hand.
Makes about 4 cups, which is 4 servings.
- 1 medium fresh beet, washed and shredded
- 2 medium carrots, washed and shredded
- 1 large tart apple (Cortland, Macoun, or Mutsu are great choices this time of year)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tbsp of combined chopped fresh parsley and dill
- 1 orange, juiced (1/4 to 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- Shred the beet, carrots, and apple. Mix in a bowl.
- Add walnuts and green herbs on top of the mix and set the bowl aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and salt until salt is dissolved. Add 3-4 grinds of pepper, then whisk in oil.
- Pour salad dressing over salad and mix until well combined and evenly dressed.
Adapted from diabetesfoodhub.org